Eyes, as they say, are the ‘Window to one’s soul’… & I firmly believe that everyone has beautiful eyes. Every woman has at some point in her life been bothered by the dark circles around her eyes.
Ever wondered why we have these unsightly dark-circles around the eyes? Well… to make it sound simple, lets first understand the science behind it.
The area under our eyes can look bluish-purple because the skin here is extremely thin and translucent and under this skin lie capillary which are very small blood vessels spread out like a web that carries blood. Some of these blood cells may leak while passing through the fine capillaries into the surrounding tissue. As a normal cleaning-up process by the body, enzymes are produced that break-down the scattered blood cells making the thin skin appear dark.
Causes of under-eye dark circles
There are many a myth associated with these dark-circles around our eyes, but the commonest scientifically proven reasons include;
- GENE POOL & ETHNICITY: In fair-skinned people and those with very little subcutaneous fat supporting the area under the lower lid this condition is more apparent. While in individuals with dark-skinned people extra pigment may be produced around the eyes, which can cause a general dark appearance of the skin under the eyes and even on the lids.
- AGING: The anatomical structure of our face is such that a prominent “tear trough” or nasojugal groove, starting from the inner corner of the eye towards the cheeks can cause shadowing and make dark-circles appear more apparent. This trough tends to deepen with fat loss that often comes with aging.
- DIETARY DEFICIENCY OF VITAMINS & MINERALS
- INADEQUATE, DISTURBED SLEEP & FATIGUE: Inadequate sleep aggravates venous congestion; leading to fluid build-up & pooled blood in superficial blood vessels, making dark-circles look even darker.
- EXCESSIVE INTAKE OF ALCOHOL, CAFFEINATED DRINKS & SMOKING
- Excessive SUN EXPOSURE
- HORMONAL IMBALANCE
- FOOD OR COSMETIC ALLERGY
- Medical conditions like LIVER DISEASES & DERMATITIS around the eyes
How to treat under-eye dark circles?
A variety of treatment options are available with Dermatologists and cosmetologists; however, it is essential to tread carefully as any wrong treatment can lead to hyperpigmentation & further agony.
TOPICAL RETINOIDS can cause the skin to thicken that will make the underlying darkness less apparent.
CREAMS & SERUM containing Hyaluronic acid, ceramides, peptides & caffeine can help hydrate and stimulate collagen and elastin production in the skin, plumping up the skin and pushing it away from the collected blood pockets.
FILLER INJECTIONS containing Hyaluronic acid can help plump up the sunken dull appearing under the eyes.
ANTI-OXIDANTS including Vitamins A, C & E can help to lighten dark circles.
Products with CAFFEINE can also help brighten-up tired eyes by narrowing the dilated & visible blood vessels.
Sticking to a carefully planned daily skincare-regime, balanced diet & some blissful hours of sleep can do more wonders to keep our eyes looking healthy and bright.
Our eyes & the skin around it need proper care…….It is, therefore, better to invest proactively in its care than to react later with expensive treatments.