Eyes, they say are the ‘Window to one’s soul’………. & I firmly believe that everyone has beautiful eyes. Every woman has at some point in her life been bothered by the dark circles under the eyes.
Ever wondered why we have these unsightly dark circles under the eyes, & how to get rid of dark circles? Well… to make it sound simple, lets first understand the theory behind it.
The area under our eyes can look bluish-purple because the skin here is extremely thin and translucent and under these skin lie capillaries which are very small blood vessels spread out like a web that carries blood. Some of these blood cells may leak while passing through the fine capillaries into the surrounding tissue. As a normal cleaning-up process by the body, enzymes have produced that breakdown of the scattered blood cells making the thin skin appear dark.
Causes of under-eye dark circles
There are many a myth associated with these dark circles under the eyes, but the commonest scientifically proven reasons include;
- GENE POOL & ETHNICITY: In fair-skinned people and those with very little subcutaneous fat supporting the area under the lower lid this condition is more apparent. While in individuals with dark-skinned people extra pigment may be produced around the eyes, which can cause a general dark appearance of the skin under the eyes and even on the lids.
- AGING: The anatomical structure of our face is such that a prominent “tear trough” or naso-jugal groove, starting from the inner corner of the eye towards the cheeks can cause shadowing and make dark-circles under eyes appear more apparent. This trough deepens with fat loss that accompanies aging.
- DIETARY DEFICIENCY OF VITAMINS & MINERALS: Inadequate dietary intake of Iron and Vitamin B12 can cause poor oxygen supply to body tissues making bluish-purple veins under the eyes more apparent.
- INADEQUATE, DISTURBED SLEEP & FATIGUE: Insufficient sleep aggravates venous congestion; leading to fluid build-up & pooled blood in superficial blood vessels, making dark circles under the eyes look even more darker.
- HORMONAL IMBALANCE: Hormonal imbalance because of wavering reproductive hormones like estrogen and stress-induced cortisol production can be responsible for dryness of the skin around the eyes making it itchy, rough and flaky. Constant scratching around the eyes darkens the skin & makes it difficult to get rid of the dark circles under the eyes.
- FOOD OR COSMETIC ALLERGY
- Medical conditions like LIVER DISEASES & DERMATITIS around the eyes
How to treat under-eye dark circles?
A variety of treatment options are available with Dermatologists and cosmetologists. However, it is essential to tread carefully as any wrong treatment can lead to hyperpigmentation & further agony.
TOPICAL RETINOIDS can cause the skin to thicken which will make the underlying darkness less apparent.
CREAMS & SERUM containing Hyaluronic acid, ceramides, peptides & caffeine can help hydrate and stimulate collagen and elastin production in the skin, plumping up the skin and pushing it away from the collected blood pockets.
FILLER INJECTIONS containing Hyaluronic acid can help plump up the sunken dull appearing under the eyes.
ANTI-OXIDANTS including Vitamins A, C & E can help to lighten the dark circles under eyes.
Sticking to a carefully planned daily skincare-regime, balanced diet & some blissful hours of sleep can do more wonders to keep our eyes looking healthy and bright.
Our eyes & the skin around it need proper care…….It is, therefore, better to invest proactively in its care than to react later with expensive treatments.
- What Makes Revitol Cream an Unbeatable Anti-Aging Cream Even In 2020? - March 25, 2020
- How to get the Gorgeous Bridal Glow in just 5 Simple Steps - January 24, 2020
- Get Rid of Skin Tags! The Simplest and Trouble-free Way to Remove Them - January 24, 2020